1. Remove the bandage the following morning. Leaving the tattoo bandaged for the first night will lesson the chances of scabbing. After removing the first dressing DO NOT re-bandage.
2. Using only your hand, wash the tattoo with warm water and liquid soap. Rinse the area, and pat it dry with a paper towel, it should feel clean to the touch. Rub a very small amount of ointment (Aquaphor, A&D Ointment, Bag Balm are good choices) into the tattoo; the tattoo should not be greasy or shiny. This step should be repeated 2-3 times a day for 3 days. DO NOT scratch or pick at your tattoo.
3. On day four STOP using the ointment and begin moisturizing the tattoo with a dye-free, fragrance-free lotion (Lubriderm, Keri, Curel etc). Continue washing the tattoo 2-3 times daily and moisturizing it with lotion until it is completely healed. This will typically take 2-3 weeks.
4. Things to avoid during the first 2 - 3 weeks:
- Direct sunlight and tanning beds
- Soaking and swimming (this includes baths, hot tubs, pools, excessive steam and all natural bodies of water; showers are fine.)
- Neosporin and lotions or cleansers that contain vitamin E. Aloe Vera, or Sea Salt.
It will typically take 2-3 weeks for a tattoo to heal. Feel free to call us at any time with questions or concerns- 971-401-5260
*** many people recommend variations on healing procedures, always listen to your artist.***